Moab has become quite well known for its various trails and campsites. It’s a popular place for tourists and locals alike to enjoy exploring the great outdoors. There are many wonderful places to see, and there are a lot of great places to spend the night as well. However, there are a few areas that standout above the others. This is a list of the five best campsites in Moab, for individuals or for the whole family:
1. Sand Flats. Depending on how far in one goes, these campsites can be a 15-minute drive from Moab, which can be very helpful and convenient in case of an emergency. It is also close to numerous 4-wheel drive trails.
2. Devil’s Garden. Close to many hiking trails, Devil’s Garden also has flush toilets, picnic tables, and grills available. Some campsites are out in the open, while others are more hidden away, so there are options to choose from.
3. Dead Horse Point. The campsites within Dead Horse can offer some of the best views in Moab, and many of them offer electrical hookups as well. However, these sites are limited and high in demand, so reservations are a good idea.
4. Warner Lake. This campsite is perfect for the hot summer temperatures. Up in the La Sal Mountains, it is about 20 degrees cooler than anywhere else, and this particular site is right next to the lovely Warner Lake, and it has access to several hiking tails. If one is looking for a change of pace to the desert scenery, this is a great choice.
5. Big Bend. This campsite is great because it is so close to town and Arches National Park and Bill’s Canyon. It is also right along the river, which is great for hot summer days.
Any of these campgrounds offer beautiful scenery, places for young kids to play, and access to some great hiking trails as well. Remember to be as prepared as possible, and perhaps use tactical flashlights or camping lanterns to mark off hazards around camp, especially if there are kids around.